03 Aug A Client Story | Spring Clean Cleaning Services
Interested to know how a company grows and lasts in Nashville for over 20 years? You have come to the right place! Spring Clean Cleaning Services, a current NBIC (Nashville Business Incubation Center) client, is a great example.
Darren and Karla Frieson, the husband and wife team behind the janitorial company, are continuing to make residential and commercial properties shine. NBIC sat down with Karla Frieson to learn about their business beginnings, why NBIC was their best choice, and their recommendations for business resources other entrepreneurs can incorporate. There are definitely a few aha moments below that you should check out!
Fun Facts About Spring Clean Cleaning Services:
- They are a 20+ year-old minority and service-disabled veteran janitorial company offering cleaning, upholstery, and landscaping to their commercial and residential clients, along with carpet cleaning to residential clients.
- They were honored as a 2014 Nashville Business Journal Small Business Awards as a finalist.
- Some of their clients include: Department of Veteran Affairs, Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Tyson McGhee National Guard, ITT Technical Institute, Metro Southeast, Veterans Administration, Bridgestone/Firestone and The City of Berry Hill.
We wanted to grow. We needed processes and wanted to learn the best advertising options to put in place. NBIC was the natural choice to get us there.
As a Nashville born business, what do you think about your new “It” city?
My husband and I are actually Nashville natives and grew up in East Nashville. It is really unbelievable to see all of the growth happening in the city. I am also a real estate agent that survived the housing market crash and now can experience the benefits that the growth of the city has to offer.
So, you guys are a husband and wife team taking the janitorial world head on, was that always your plan to work together?
I didn’t think we would be working together, but I saw a need that I could help Darren fulfill. He was constantly out in the field on projects and I knew I could help with the the back-end/operations of the company. The ability for me to step in to this role just made sense and it is history from there. It is also a lot of hard work, but worth it!
We know you celebrated your 20 year business anniversary in 2015. What was the biggest “aha” moment you have experienced since starting your company?
The biggest “aha” moment we learned from Angela Crane-Jones, and it includes one simple word…NETWORKING! We truly realized how important making connections with the people you meet on your business journey and that it is a huge necessity. Being at the right events, getting your name out there and establishing relationships goes a long way to reaching your business goals.
What is the one business tip you would give to new entrepreneurs starting out in Nashville?
Do things the right way in the beginning by connecting with an incubation program like NBIC or other business support organization. It is more than just getting a business license; you need to know about insurance, finding the right accountant and proper bookkeeping system, paying your taxes and much more. If you can connect with the right organization in the beginning, some of those hard learning lessons can be avoided.
Okay, so what would you say are the top things you love about NBIC?
- Angela Crane-Jones: (the superwoman behind NBIC, in case you are one of only a few that didn’t know). She really helped us with so many different aspects to grow our business and made us be accountable to our business and vision. Whatever she said was “gold” in our eyes and I did each task without hesitation, because I trusted her and saw the passion she had for helping small businesses.
- Relationship Building aka Networking: As I mentioned before, we really learned a lot about connecting with potential customers and other businesses. Creating genuine relationships are an integral part to any businesses success.
What’s next for Spring Clean Cleaning Services in 2016?
We are looking to diversify; offering other services and expanding into other states.
To learn more about Spring Clean Cleaning Services visit – http://springcleanllc.com/